Thursday, May 1, 2014

Artists

I have been researching artists that relate to my project concepts. One of which is Vaugh Wascovich, I feel as if he was able to hit the nail on the head with his series Welcome to Hard Times. His images capture a certain essence, that fleeting moments when the building, structure or whatever was discarded and is quickly decaying to the lack of attention and appreciation. I'm hoping to capture that same essence that is present in Washington state. I find Wascovich's work very interesting in that he does not attempt to create perfect prints in the darkroom, instead he allows the imperfects to further his concept. I then connected these imperfections to the recent artist talk at Central. The second speaker Tom O'Day discusses cases in which he took finished art pieces and submerged them in liquid plumber and other chemicals that eat away at the work of art. I found this to be very enthralling, perhaps I could experiment with purposefully "damaging" the archival pigment prints to solidify the overall concept of my project.

Another artist I have been looking into is Nina Katchadourian. Previously, I was introduced to Katchadourian's work entitled Lavatory Self-Portraits in the Flemish Style. I had no idea that she has many other photography projects. Her project about mended spider webs and patched mushrooms, I thought are really interesting. While reading about her work in the Cotton book, I was surprised by how odd it truly is but then I kept thinking about to two series. What if I portrayed man-made objects in nature as helpful and positive as seen in Katchadourian's work, instead of being negative and even harmful?

No comments:

Post a Comment